Sunday, December 12, 2010

I love Lists

With only 20 days left to endure, 2010 has been, mostly certainly, the roughest year of my life... so far. The year is close to over, & some of the few things that I can really enjoy about the month of December are Best Of lists, Critics' Awards & Year End Wrap-Ups.

In the notebook that I carry in my handsome & masculine manpurse, I have been making note of things that I have never done, that most people in the USA have done, or that others would find surprising that I had never experienced. Example: At close to 60 years old, I have never been to a funeral. Really.

At brunch last week (the husband made Sourdough French Toast with maple basted, baked pears) I introduced the question: What is something that you have never done or experienced, that most people in our country have? My circles' answers were surprising & telling. Can you name something? I am proud to add that list; I have not seen Avatar, but I am looking forward to the Justin Bieber 3-D movie about his life. Can you say the same?

My person of the year is Steven Slater, the gay flight attendent for Jet Blue, who, after landing at JFK, & after a fight with a passanger, announced on the PA system: "To the passenger who called me a motherfucker, fuck you. I've been in this business 28 years. & that's it. I'm done." He then grabbed 2 beers & then slid down the plane's emergency chute. He is a hero to me.


My favorite new word of the 2010: "refudiate". Thank you, Sarah Palin. You never disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment