Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Born On This Day- September 1st... Lily Tomlin

I was floating on air for a year after my good friend in Seattle- LJSM called me on a spring morning with this Lily Tomlin anecdote. LJSM has done a great deal of volunteer work, especially for the City Park Department in Seattle. In 2002 she was co-chairing a benefit starring Lily Tomlin & she had the opportunity to chat with this comedy icon. I have no idea how my name came up, but when my Seattle friend mentioned me, Lily Tomlin told her how funny that she & Jane Wagner thought my bit in the film Singles was. It seemed that my small part was a favorite of this remarkable couple & that they loved to imitate me, doing my lines from the film. It seems that my little bit (which I wrote, with coaching from director Cameron Crowe) really cracked Lily Tomlin up. She then proceeded to do her imitation of me for my friend. LJSM called me the next day & the husband & I were over the moon that one of our most favorite performers was doing an imitation of me. As I write this, I still think how cool that moment was for me.







Lily Tomlin is one of the most loved women in Show Biz. In a 40 year career, Lily Tomlin has had 2 Tonys, 2 Peabodys, 6 Emmys, a Grammy, the Drama Desk Award & Outer Critics Circle award, plus the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Her characters for TV's Laugh In include: the irascible, prune-faced telephone operator Ernestine; the precocious sandbox philosopher- 6 year old Edith Ann, in an oversized rocking chair; & the Tasteful Lady, imperious & upper class, who never fails to puncture her own pretense. She was nominated for an Oscar for her amazing work in Robert Altman’s Nashville, one of my personal favorites. Other favorite performances: The Late Show (1977) with Art Carney, 9 To 5 (1980) with 2 other women, All Of Me (1980) with Steve Martin, & Flirting With Disaster (1996).This week she was nominated for an Emmy for her work on Damages. Lily lives in L.A. with her partner & writing partner of 38+ years- Jane Wagner. She turns an astonishing 71 years old today

No comments:

Post a Comment