Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy Birthday, Michael Franks

I was very much into him before I met the man that would become my husband & lifemate. Lucky for me that man had also already found this music. His music was a soundtrack to our 1st few years as couple & when I re-listened in preparing this post, I felt that his music had become timeless, even if it brings me back to the late 1970s/early 1980s. Michael Franks is pigeonholed into the smooth jazz genre, but I am not sure that fits. I think of him more as Singer/Songwriter with a jazzy edge with a big nod to Antonio Carlos Jobim.





Over the long meandering journey of 35 years & 18 albums, Michael Franks has mesmerized & seduced me. Seamlessly weaving lyrics of stunning sensuality, satire, shadow, & sophisticated style over music that tastefully incorporates shadings of jazz, soul, pop, chamber & world music, Michael Franks the songwriter is simply a statesman of song craft. His best known works include Popsicle Toes, When the Cookie Jar is Empty,Tiger in the Rain, Rainy Night in Tokyo & Tell Me All About It. His work has been covered by artists from Diana Krall & Natalie Cole to Manhattan Transfer & The Carpenters). As if that weren't enough, Michael Franks the singer is gifted with a gentle, deliciously expressive voice identifiable from the 1st note. As a singer, I have been influenced by the economy of his singing. He was a huge influence on me when I was singing jazz & standards.




Michael Franks is also very much "my type" ( & I don't just mean male & still breathing), I find him very attractive.I love a rainy day at Post Apocalyptic Bohemia, with a glass of whiskey & Michael Franks on the sound system. I can get lost in his exotic, intoxicating world.

No comments:

Post a Comment