Saturday, April 9, 2011

Two For The Road

The Husband & I are just about to hit the road. We are traveling 6 hours NE of Portland to the city where I grew up (ages 6-18) & The Husband went to high school. In the late 1960s, we actually lived within a 1/2 mile of each other & we knew some of the same people.


My parents live in the country, about 15 miles from Spokane, but we lived in town while I was in school. I left on the day I graduated from high school, but I returned in the summer of 1977, after being exhausted from the experience of living in NYC in the mid-1970s. At the very same time, The Husband returned after living in Europe. We both came back for the same reasons & I like to think it was so that we could meet. I returned to Spokane, a city that we both did not really like, to put myself back together, regroup, & decide what was next. For a short time, I enjoyed being a very a big acting fish in a very little theatre pond. It was rather thrilling to get work & attention in my hometown after being one of millions attempting to make it in NYC (I know...if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere).

Spokane, The Lilac City, is a mean little town that does not take kindly to anyone who is perceived as different. But it is a pretty small city, with a gorgeous set of waterfalls right in the middle of the downtown, & of course lots of lilacs. I believe there is one gay bar. The Husband has observed that the entire place seems frozen in 1971.


Riding in a motor vehicle that the other is driving is always driving us to divorce. We each dislike how the other pilots an automobile, no, that is too polite... each of the other's driving make the other fully daft. But, we seem to do well on a road trip. We have a few games that we indulge in the automobile: Favorites (favorite flower etc), Best (best year etc), & Unlikely Casting (Carol Channing as Lady Macbeth). A car trip is the only time we ever stop at a McDonald's. We both are crazy for fried potato products, & we let traveling be an excuse to indulge.

I may not do any posting until our return to Post Apocalyptic Bohemia on Tuesday. I will miss you. Be good while I am gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment