Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Considering Meryl Streep On Her Birthday

"Instant gratification is not soon enough. "



I saw The Devil Wears Prada again while I was Shingled. Wow, that film certainly still stands up. She is not gay, but does she have the making of a Gay Icon? She turns an astonishing 63 today & she has never been bigger at the box office. I love her. She is an actor goddess to me. I love her doing anything, but I like her best doing comedy & singing.

Meryl Streep has received 15 Academy Award nominations & 23 Golden Globe nominations (winning 6), more than any other person in film history. Her work has also earned her 2 Emmy Awards, 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards, a Cannes Film Festival award, 3 New York Film Critics Circle Awards, 4 Grammy Award nominations, a BAFTA award, & a Tony Award nomination.

I first time I saw her was on stage in The Taming Of The Shrew with Raul Julia at The Public Theatre in 1975. At the start of her film career, I wasn't really on board. She seemed all accents & technique. I was wrong. Her work is inspired, heartfelt & transcendent. My favorite Streep film performances:

Manhattan
Silkwood
Out Of Africa
Postcards From The Edge (love her singing!)
The Bridges Of Madison County
Adaptation (fearless,& without vanity as always)
The Hours
A Prairie Home Companion (again, the singing)
The Devil Wears Prada
Julie & Julia
& Angels In America

She is funny, self effacing, & the best actor of my generation. I forgive her for Mama Mia. Next up? Streep as Margaret Thatcher! Please, share your favorite Streep performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment