Monday, June 6, 2011

Pout... It Works For Me


Yesterday was action packed for the Husband as he prepared for an evening event to be hosted at Post Apocalyptic Bohemia. The Husband & his business partner, the hip-hop artist & designer- Lil’Jake, put together an evening for the artists, designers & craftsman that will represented at Boys’ Fort, their Pop-Up store opening in downtown Portland in Fall 2011.

Late morning, the Husband set off, on foot, for Walgreen’s, 2 blocks away. Walgreen’s is a necessary evil in our daily lives, being the closest retail outlet to our home; it is dreaded for the terrible customer services & much used for the convenience & the overflowing on & off offerings. This all-purpose drugstore stocks aisles & aisles of seasonal/ holiday products that magically go away the day after when the new special stuff replacing it like magic. Today the place is filled with the things you need for Dads, Grads & July 4th: flip flops, sunglasses, BBQs, hula hoops, beach towels & sunscreen.

The Husband returned from his outing with this appraisal of the experience:
Husband:I had 3 things that delighted me since I have been gone.

Stephen: “Do Tell.”

Husband: “1. At the dreaded Walgreen’s, in a display of baby tees, I spotted a baby T-shirt that read- ‘Pout… It Work’s For Me’.

2. I spied a gay couple, early 30s, prissy, & they had a large book that was open across their cart. They were leaning over reading it as they walked the aisles. I had to discover what this was all about, so I doubled back around the aisle & walked towards the pair going the opposite way. As I passed I found that it wasn’t a book at all, but a very larger photo type album. There was at least a hundred plastic pages, each one with 16 pockets, each pocket contained a perfectly cut out coupon. As I passed by I heard on of the baby queers argue with other- ‘ No! If we wait a week we can get that item,& instead of saving 20 cents, we can get it for 50 cents off.’

3. On the way back home. I passed the grassy lot next to the Baptist church & the pastor was supervising a group of kids playing kick ball. Actually it was a group of girls & one boy. The girls were all dressed in long skirts, looking like Mennonites or Mormons. I stopped & watched as the boy child kicked the ball. He ran to the first base with his arms held at head level & his wrist as limp as an old queen on martinis. Flailing his little thin arms & limp wrists & running knock kneed, almost a skipping, he made it to the base. I watched in amazement knowing that this little Baptist boy would grow up to be big old ‘Mo & I wondered if anyone had inkling.”

Stephen: “Wow! All that in a half hour! By the way, why don’t we use coupons?  Are you sure the little boy is gay?”
The Husband: “ No doubt what so ever, &… I don’t use coupons because I have too much on my mind all the time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment