Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Songs, #2 In A Series... Something Cool



Something cool

I'd like to order something cool

It's so warm here in town & this heat gets me down

Yes, I'd like something cool


My, it's nice to simply sit & rest awhile
You know it's a shame
I can't think of your name
I remember your smile

I don't ordinarily drink with strangers
I guess I usually drink alone

But you were so awfully nice to ask me

& I'm so terribly far from home


Like my dress, I must confess it's very old
But it's simple & neat, it's just right for this heat

Save my furs for the cold

A cigarette, no I don't smoke them as a rule

But I'll have one, it might be fun with something cool



I'd bet you wouldn't imagine that I once had a house

With so many rooms you couldn't count them all
I'll bet that you couldn't imagine I had 15 different boys

Who would beg & beg to take me to a ball


& I know you couldn't picture me
The time I went to Paris in the fall

& who would think the man that I loved

Was quite so handsome & quite so tall


Well, it's through, it's just a memory I had
One I almost forgot since the weather's so hot
& I'm feeling so bad about a date, oh wait, I'm such a fool

He's just a guy who stopped to buy me something cool

Billy Barnes
1945


No comments:

Post a Comment