Friday, June 24, 2011

If You Can Make It There, You'll Make It Anywhere, It's Up To You New York, New York


Thank you, New York State. I have been alive long enough to remember that in NY, a person could be arrested for dancing with someone of the same sex; now in NY a you can marry the person you love, even if they happen to be the same sex. That is amazing.

I was once a New Yorker, & although I understand that it is a large & diverse state,I always think of NY State as NYC, the city that is the center if the universe.

I happen to like New York, I happen to like this town.
I like the city air, I like to drink of it,
The more I know New York the more I think of it.
I like the sight & the sound & even the stink of it.
I happen to like New York.
I like to go to Battery Park & watch those liners booming in.
I often ask myself, why should it be that they come so far across the sea.
I suppose it's because they all agree with me. They happen to like New York.
Last Sunday afternoon I took a trip to Hackensack,
But after I gave Hackensack the once over, I took the next train back.
I happen to like New York. I happen to love this burg. 

When I have to give the world a last farewell,
& the undertaker starts to ring my funeral bell,
I don't want to go to heaven, don't want to go to hell.
I happen to like New York. I happen to like New York.


Cole Porter
1930


We were married in Vancouver BC, my 2nd favorite city, on our 25th anniversary of being a couple. We had decided that we would never have another wedding, after all, we are actually married. But, if he would have me, & if we don't divorce before then, I would feel very good about getting married again in NYC.

One of my very favorite memories of our 32 years together, was watching my husband's face as we emerged from the subway at 42nd Street, &  stepped into Time Square at sunset, ablaze in neon & racket, on our first visit together in the city that never sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment