Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cherry Pies Ought To Be You

I have new bad habit. Every Saturday I bring a Cherry Pie home from work, & the company I work for makes the Best Cherry Pies ever. I do this because the Husband is crazy for Cherry Pie & I am trying to fatten up the skinny fucker. That other skinny fucker,T & his big black, beautiful poddle- Louis showed up unannounced. I am sure it was because they sensed there was fresh Cherry Pie at Post Apocalyptic Bohemia. All this reminds me a favorite Cole Porter ditty that I adored in high school. As I said to the Husband- "Shut your Pie Hole!"

Today's Cherry Pie


Cherry pies ought to be you
Autumn skies ought to be you
Mr. Pulitzer's prize ought to be you
Romeo in disguise ought to be you

Columbine ought to be you
Sparking wine ought to be you
All of Beethoven's nine ought to be you.
Every old Shakespeare line ought to be you

You are so enticing
I'm starting to shake.
You are just the icing
To put on my cake.

Heaven's blue ought to be you
Heaven, too, ought to be you
Everything super-doo ought to be you
French perfumes ought to be you

Texas booms ought to be you
Early Egyptian tombs ought to be you
Super-cheap drawing rooms ought to be you
Hot Don Juan ought to be you

Rita Kahn ought to be you
Cupid with nothing on ought to be you
Leda without her swan ought to be you

You make carmel copper
You're losing your breath
Were I not so proper
I'd squeeze you to death.

Truman's best ought to be you
His success ought to be you.
All except Truman's breast ought to be you

Ought to be you
Ought to be you
Ought to be you




Shooting pains ought to be you
Addled brains ought to be you
Florida when it rains ought to be you
Pictures in subway trains ought to be you

Withered grass ought to be you
Lethal gas ought to be you
Sour old applesass ought to be youGabby old Balemn's ass ought to be you

You look so fearful
You'll give me the joinks!
Kid, if you're not careful,
I'll give you the zoinks!

Horsemeat steak ought to be you
Pickled snake ought to be you
Everything I can't take ought to be you

Corn that's tough ought to be you
In the ruff ought to be you
Every old powder puff ought to be you
Everything not enough ought to be you

No one's bride ought to be you
No one's pride ought to be you
Just an old chicken fried ought to be you
Cyanide on the side ought to be you

That's the darndest getup
That I've seen in years
Kid, if you don't shut up
I'll pull off your ears

No one's girl ought to be you
Milton Bearle ought to be you
Salad & caster erl ought to be you

Ought to be you
Ought to be you
Ought to be you

Cole Porter
1950

No comments:

Post a Comment