Sunday, March 27, 2011

Born On This Day- March 27th... Sax Blowing Gay Guy Dave Koz

In 2004, Dave Koz came out publicly as a gay man in the Advocate. Later the same year, he was named by People magazine as one of their "50 Hottest Bachelors" in their June issue. His career was already established & the world of jazz is not really the most gay friendly sub-group on the musical universe. I feel that artists like Koz, with their fan base in place. can win over prejudices & that is important."Smooth Jazz" is not my favorite genre (by any means), but I admire his good looks, musicality, & bravery. Koz turns 48 years old today.


Koz: "Music is important for everyone…even those that wouldn’t classify themselves as die-hard music fans. Could you imagine our world without it? What about going to a movie without a soundtrack? Or a bar without some ambiance of music playing? We mark our experiences with songs & artists & moments in time become forever etched in our brains with musical soundtracks all their own. So I don’t think using ‘music as comfort’ it’s uniquely a LGBT experience. I think everyone has that usage for it to some extent. But I do think that there are musical stereotypes that get attached to certain groups…like dance/techno is the only thing that gays like to listen to/respond to. Tell that to the ever-increasing LGBT audience I am overjoyed to see at the concerts, cruises, events my band and I do."


No comments:

Post a Comment