Saturday, March 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Liza!

"Reality is something you rise above."
Liza Minnelli


It wouldn’t be a gay day at a gay blog without saying Happy Birthday to Liza Minnelli. I first saw her in The Sterile Cuckoo (Oscar nomination) in 1969 & I was rather astonished by her performance, followed by another in Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon, & of course there was Cabaret & Liza with a Z in 1971. I once followed her for several blocks until she went into the Russian Tea Room in 1977, but couldn’t bring myself to approach her. I may have seen her at Studio 54 during the same era, but who knows, what with the qualudes & coke, maybe I just thought I saw her with Halston & Andy.


There is no denying the talent; Oscar, Emmy, Tony, Grammy, BAFTA, & Golden Globes are all on her mantle. Through the ups & down & the marriages, & just when she seems a joke, she redeems & reinvents herself with choices like Results, her terrific album with Pet Shop Boys, & her hilarious turn on Arrested Development. Her performing style is so full of “please, love me” that I find it rude not to. At 65 years old she keeps on giving & giving & demanding the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment