Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Considering k.d. lang On Her Birthday

"I'm proud that I was one of the first ones out,
 singing loud & proud.”







Happy Birthday, Kathryn Dawn Lang! Before there was George Michael, Elton, Ellen, Mellissa or Rufus, there was k.d. lang.This blog is intended to celebrate all things important to me; art, film-theatre-TV, design, books, food, cocktails, travel, friends & lovers, & of course the art form that moves me &informs my life the most: Music. Among the Top 10 musicians that have meant the most to me, k.d. lang may be the artist that speaks to me the most. Her stunning, pitch perfect, unadorned voice, androgynous look (she’s the girl next door & the boy next door) & brilliant performances have fully engaged me & swept me a way to new heights for the past 25+ years. She is the artist (along with Lyle Lovett & Bette Midler) that I have seen in concert more than 6 times.

 Lang came out of the closet in 1992 with no real negative affect on her career; indeed she won 1 of her 4 Grammy’s around this time, for Constant Craving & her album- Ingénue was her best selling to date. How would & pick a cut that would be her best or my personal favorite? I know that every time she did Roy Orbison’s Crying in concert, every hair on my body would stand on end. I am crazy for her album of covers about smoking- Drag & I still dig the stripped down pop of- all you can eat.


The Husband loves her, my parents love her, my rock music loving friend-Eiric loves her, lesbians lover her, gay men love her. She is an activist & vegetarian. For just hair raising virtuosity & for the glory of her voice I will post Halleluiah by fellow Canadian- Leonard Cohen from her album of covers written by Canadians- 49th Parallel & a personal favorite- Cole Porter’s So In Love from Red, Hot + Blue with this amazing & somewhat disturbing video:


No comments:

Post a Comment