Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ah, Ah. Ah... Don't Stop! I'm Cumming!

The Husband & I caught the film- The Party the other evening, while channel surfing & we decided to stay with it, although we had rented it years ago. One of the stars is Kevin Kline, one of the great loves of my life. But I kept having a mind riff on the career & personality of Alan Cumming. I was first aware of Cumming in 1998 through his Tony winning turn as the emcee in the Sam Mendes-Rob Marshall revival of Cabaret. He certainly seemed to be a very arresting figure when I saw him on the Tony Awards.


Cumming has played his share of classical roles in an extremely eclectic career, including a very well received Hamlet in London, his main image seems to be: naughty scamp, a persona that holds my interest. Cumming has done nothing to discourage this, playing a variety of louche characters: Dionysus, Mack the Knife, the Devil, in theater & film. He wrote a semiautobiographical novel-Tommy's Tale, about a sex obsessed, drug ridden bisexual; & starring in a provocative campaign promoting the fragrance line that bears his last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment