Sunday, January 2, 2011

The End Of The World

click on the image to enlarge

Of course, the 365 days of 2010 did offer up some lovely moments. That’s life. I said that's life, & as funny as it may seem, some people get their kicks, stompin' on a dream. But I don't let it get me down, 'cause this fine old world it keeps spinning around.
It brings me all sorts of pleasure to write posts for this little blog thing. Post Apocalyptic Bohemian is more than an avocation & slightly less than an obsession. I read at least 50 other blogs at least weekly, & I find solace & delight in my friendships in the blogging community. So many interesting people & so many opinions make for lively relationships.
I have experienced the joie de vivre from meeting other bloggers face to face, a sometimes scary proposition akin to dating. Will he like me? This summer we entertained the stimulating, stirring, & striking couple Arnie & Blair with a casual vegetarian dinner in the Boy’s Fort. The only time I had run into this blogging couple, we were all wearing red dresses & having cocktails. I adore both of them.
The very nicest moment of 2010 came late in the year. I had hired RAS to be my assistant 3 years ago. It was a perfect choice. We worked together for 2 years & never had an unkind word, an intrigue, or a disappointment in each other. He was so winning in his role as an assistant, that he moved up in the company & was made a manager, doing essentially what I do at one of our company’s new venues. We see each other at meetings & we email often.
RAS has a formal demeanor & a conservative streak. We are genuinely fond of each other, but I believe that I am often scandalizing to him. The one time that we socialized outside of work, he came to Post Apocalyptic Bohemia for dinner by the fireplace. RAS had his usual single glass of wine as I got a bit lit. I ended up telling him about my short but passionate affair, in, my youth with a major figure in the world of classical music.

The evening was shared with the Husband & T who, along with his much loved standard poodle- Louis, were living with us at the time. T is handsome, talented & charming, & later RAS asked about how I was acquainted with T. I explained that T had been late night take-out food off that internet thing, for the Husband & me a few years ago, & that he just basically never left. RAS was scandalized for sure, which was just the reaction I was going for.
RAS was pleased to discover that I have a passion for the gifted musician Matt Alber. Alber is a masterful & powerful singer/songwriter who I not only admire, but he is responsible for the most gorgeous song that I have ever heard. Alber’s composition-  End Of The World moves me like no other song, & I have bounteous favorite tunes. RAS has a long time friendship with Mr. Alber. I was impressed.
In early November, RAS had emailed me & summoned me to lunch with Matt Alber. Now, I have worked with & have met many famous, talented people, but I was actually more than a little taken aback with the notion of meeting this impressive singer/songwriter. At lunch, I tested my old acting skills by appearing nonchalant about our meeting, but I was truly rattled. Mr. Alber is not only accomplished, but also beautiful. He was accompanied by his equally dazzling boyfriend Phil. I felt out of my league, but Alber could not have been more charming, & I, of course gushed. How else could I react to meeting the creator of a piece of art that moves me so deeply?
I savored every moment of our meeting, & more amazing… I behaved. Thank you, RAS for providing me with my best moment of 2010. Thank you, Matt Alber, for your beautiful music & for not being baffled by a bewitched, broken down old man.




,

No comments:

Post a Comment